Renewal projects undertaken
We have generally undertaken the regular work of seasonal fitting out and maintenance ourselves. Our pattern has been to have the boat out of the water every other year. Partly this has been because of visits to New Zealand over some winters, while remaining on board for the majority of others.
Use of 2/3 coats of Micron Extra antifoul generally means that the bottom is clean after one season, but needs attention after two, with much of the protection eroded. In addition to the bottom work, maintaining the epoxy under layer, antifouling, replacing anodes, and polishing the topsides, there is always something requiring attention on board, and the 'jobs list' usually runs to a page or more with both short term work and longer term wish list items.
This page describes some of the more significant projects and renewals that have been undertaken.
- Waeco Fridge - (the old one was working well but tired)
- Chart table seat re-covered
- Companionway steps re-varnished
Approximately £14,500 in total:
- New main and jib by Sanders Sails to a radial design in Cruiser Laminate
- New Ronstan mainsail track system
- Replacement canvas: cockpit hood, wheel cover and sail mast boot by TecSew
- New Furlex headsail furling gear, with new forestay by Jerry (the rigger) Henwood
- Replaced AIS, Raymarine windvane
- Engine injectors servicedEasykick vang hydraulic cylinder replaced
Approximately £9250 in total:
- Old antifoul removed to epoxy, original epoxy buffed, and three coats of epoxy primer applied before re-antifouling
- Lower rudder bearing replaced
- Stern shaft withdrawn, shaft seal replaced, cutlass bearing replaced
- New Flexofold folding propeller fitted
- New Raymarine C90W plotter and digital radar fitted
- ST60 Tridata speed/depth master instrument replaced
- Anchor (Rocna) and chain re-galvanised
- Wind generator fitted
- All standing rigging replaced
- Toilet replaced by Vacuflush system
- Y-diverter and anti-siphon system for optional use of holding tank
- Saloon seat covers replaced
We were delighted with the new cushion covers. We re-covered the chart table seat ourselves: we had the cushion re-modelled having removed the wooden side supports. It is now a lot more comfortable.